Are you a data scientist? Check out those scientific papers on Google Scholar for relevant literature.
NamSor Gender API is quite unique in the way we combine the first name and the last name together, to recognize the likely cultural origin and gender at the same time, for higher precision and recall.
Did you know? You would expect Jean, Julia, Karen to be female names. Karen is usually a female name, but in Armenia, it is a male name. Same for JULIÀ : in Spain/Catalunya is a male name. Or Jean, in France – male again. Culture matters!
- Andrea Rossini is (more likely) a male name:
- Andrea Parker is (more likely) a female name:
For better precision, the geographic context (country ISO code 2) can appended to the request :
- Andrea Parker is (more likely) a female name, esp. in the United-States :
Global coverage : NamSor covers all languages, alphabets, countries, regions. We constantly improve the precision, working with linguists, anthropologist and historians. We can recognize, for example, the gender of Indian names in scripts such as TELUGU, ORIYA, GURMUKHI, MALAYALAM, BENGALI, GUJARATI, KANNADA, DEVANAGARI, TAMIL, ARABIC, LATIN. We can recognize, for example, the Armenian origin of names in CYRILLIC, GEORGIAN, ARMENIAN, ARABIC, LATIN. Other examples:
The Gender API is free to use for individual calls, but if you register, you will get additional benefits such as: higher throughput (to genderize thousands of names per second), integration with data mining tools, a simple web access to process Excel or text files.
We also provide other name APIs, NamSor Origin and NamSor Diaspora to infer the likely nationality or ethnicity/diaspora of social groups, based on personal names.
Add-on and clients libraries on Github:
- NamSor PowerBI Connector – to make cool infographics quickly
- NamSor Java Client on GitHub
- varo and nomine R Package for NamSor Gender & Origin APIs, maintained by Charles Crabtree and Volha Chykina (volhachykina.org)
- RapidMiner add-on for NamSor Gender and Origin APIs
This is where you can go for additional information:
- NamSor Web Site, Blog and API
- FDI Magnet
- Gender Gap Grader
contact (at) namsor.com